Existing building commissioning best practices: Implementation phaseNov 06, 2013
The Implementation phase of an Existing Building Commissioning (EBCx) project occurs after the Investigation phase has been completed. During the Implementation phase, Facility Improvement Measures (FIMs) are selected from the Master List of Findings and implemented. The performance of systems and equipment is monitored to verify that the results of the EBCx project are positive.
For the best results, follow these steps and best practices to ensure that the Implementation phase of your EBCx project runs smoothly and effectively.
- Review, prioritize, and choose FIMs. Have the owner work with the commissioning provider in analyzing and selecting implementation measures based on factors such as ROI and payback, budget, projected impacts to the facility, and available resources.
- Develop an implementation plan. Work with the facility staff and commissioning provider on developing an implementation plan that outlines the steps that will be followed in regards to implementation of specific FIMs. The plan should contain a schedule to ensure that all implementation is completed on time.
- Implement all selected FIMs. Work with the facility staff and commissioning provider on making improvements to all systems and equipment.
- Verify that all FIMs have been successfully implemented. Conduct testing on all new or upgraded systems and equipment to verify that all commissioning changes have been successful. If results are still not satisfactory, the facility staff and commissioning team will be required to continue making improvements until all desired performance results are achieved.
- Evaluate project success and energy savings. Execute the Measurement and Verification plan that was developed during the Investigation phase to make sure that all results are satisfactory and within compliance regarding energy efficiency and overall project success.
- Make plans with facility staff for ongoing commissioning. After implementation, it’s important to plan ongoing commissioning to prevent any systems and equipment from lapsing in performance.
sys-tek has been providing commissioning services to the Kansas City region for over 18 years. Contact sys-tek today to learn more about how we can help your building save in utilities and energy spending.